Monday, September 28, 2009

Charity Knitting

Hello All,

My sister and I are taking a little trip this week while she is on vacation, so I wanted to let you know that the posts over the next little bit might be a little short and far between.  I'm looking forward to spending some quality girl time with her.  We haven't had a chance to see each other much lately, so we've got lots of catching up to do!    

Now on to today's post.  I have been wanting to do some charity knitting for quite a while now, but I always have trouble finding the time.  So I came up with the idea of setting aside my Sunday knitting time just for that purpose.  I thought that since Sundays are the Lord's day, I should use that time for doing something that will honour Him.  He teaches us that we should take care of those who are less fortunate than us, so this is my way of doing that.   



My first project is a pair of red mittens for a child.  I started them yesterday, and I got one done except for the thumb and started on the cuff of the second.  The yarn is Patons Classic Wool Merino in Bright Red and the pattern I used is the Basic Mitten from Betty Christiansen's book Knitting for Peace: Make the World a Better Place One Stitch at a Time.  I love this book because it has some great patterns as well as stories and information on different charities and how you can contribute to them. 

I thought I'd make Mondays my show-and-tell day to update you on the progress of whatever charity project I'm working on.  If you'd like, you can even join me in dedicating Sundays for your charity knitting and leave a comment, or a link to your blog if you have a picture there, to update me how your projects are coming along.  I think we could all set aside a little time once a week, or even once a month to knit for those who really need something warm and comforting.  Nothing does the heart good like knowing you brought a smile to someone else's face.   

Well I hope you all had a lovely weekend and are getting a good start on this week.  I'm off to make my packing list and tie up a few loose ends before we leave. 

Happy Knitting!!

No comments:

Post a Comment